Saturday 15 September 2007

Birthday Blog!

The Birthday Table, complete with Cake, Candles and soda

Char says: As many of you will be aware, I became a little bit older yesterday (14th Sept). My Birthday has been a mix of high and lows. The bad news should come first – on the way to Mbarara, the city we visited for my Birthday, I had my mobile phone stolen from my pocket. So if anyone sent me a Birthday text message, I thank you, but I never read it! I felt a little crappy about the situation but looking on the bright side, my wallet, containing lots of cash and my Visa card was also in my pocket and it was much better to have my phone taken than the wallet. I will be up and running again very soon however with a new number.

We had to feed each other the cake - apparently its tradition - i think it was just so they could laugh at us!

On Thursday evening (13th) we had a little party with my family and some friends to celebrate my big day and this was a really nice event. I bought everyone a soda and we made some chapattis. Mama made some fried cassava – which tastes a little like chips if you use your imagination - and they bought some little cakes and some chapatti with eggs! Mona bought me an excellent birthday present of 23 Cadburys chocolate Eclairs each wrapped up with a 200 shilling coin and a piece of paper with ‘Voucher for one Chapatti’ written on it. You kind of have to live out here to understand, but there has never been a volunteer in the history on UVP who hasn’t loved fresh chapatti! It was all very funny and nice and so I would like to share these photos with you xxx

Mona and Me with her very sweet present!

And afterwards we danced away to some great tunes like...Backstreet Boys

No comments: